Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do You Ask

So this week God has been dealing with me about asking him for things.  I had become so independent that it was hard for me to ask people for anything.  It had gotten so bad that I will go without rather than ask for help.   Growing up in a one income home taught me not to be wasteful, to appreciate what you have, and work hard.  But what it also taught me that I didn't want to be a burden on anyone and I would provide for myself.  You see I grew up in a General Motors home.  This means we have experienced layoffs and plant shut downs.  My dad was a hustler, he made a way for us to not go without, but that didn't mean I didn't notice the struggles. 

So as soon as I got old enough to work I did.  At the age of 14 I had my first job and haven't stopped since.  I also kept my grades up in school so my parent wouldn't have to pay for college.  The first school that offered me a scholarship I took (thanks Wayne State University).  I decided not to apply know where else because I didn't want my parents to pay application fees.  I didn't want to go out of state because I didn't want my parents to have to send me money for things.  So as you can see at a young age I became independent. 

Well today God is working on me to depend on him completely.  I went through a stage in my life were I lost all material things I owned and was in debt.  Instead of worrying I casted my cares on him and didn't stress cause I knew God had a plan for me.  I no longer stressed about things.  Then God showed me I might have passed that challenge but I still didn't ask him for anything.  So he had me sit and think about who I asked for things.  I realized that I had a hard time to ask even the very intimate people in my life for anything.  If I asked you for something it meant I was really in need.  He even took me back to times I had chances to ask my dad for things and I would go to my mom instead (even that was difficult).  The crazy thing was she would always turn around and say ask your dad.  In hinds sight God was preparing me then for this lesson.  He showed me that I have not learned how to receive. 

During this past week so many people were so giving to me and my family in our time of lost.  Then he made me ask for something as simple as deserts for my dad’s repast.  Man was that a challenge to type a message to people I loved and ask for simple support.  Then I turned on Joyce Meyer and she was discussing Hindrance in Prayer.  The number 1 hindrance was asking.  Man just blew me away.  Now the first thought was that God wanted me to know that he is my provider.  He told me to ask him for something from him multiple times a day.  God want me to get comfortable asking cause he know I had thoughts that he have more important things to worry about my small problems.  But he let me know I am his child and have inherited all he has. 

Then he revealed to me that the only way I could ask him for anything is to seek him and commune with him more.  Now don't get me wrong, I wake up and thank God for everything that come to mind.  I read scripture and not afraid to worship God at all times.  But he wants me to be in the middle of my work day, commune with him and ask.  He want while I am pumping gas to commune with him and ask.  He wants me to seek him more, stay focused on him all the times and get comfortable asking.  So I challenge you to search the bible and just see how many times God has said ask.  Then search yourself to see do you ask.

3 comments:

  1. Crystal I was having the same problem with asking people to help me in my time of need. Over the last year or so God had a one on one talk with me and told me to ask him and he will provide. Ever since that conversation with him he has been showing up and showing out in my life. I speak Blessing to you as you write your daily Blogs. Love you Tanesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand where your coming from. I wrestled with the same thing. Sometimes it was pride and sometimes I felt that God felt it wasn't that important to ask for. I also grew in a 1 income home and independent myself. So it is easy for me to give but hard to receive. Now I am learning to ask and receive. I had to break myself out of the mindset. This year I am receiving from free lunches to prayers. But inability to receive was tied to thinking people would want something from me in exchange. Ben

      Delete
  2. i also have a difficult time asking God and people for things. i also find it difficult to trust that when someone (even God) says they are going to do it for me, that it will actually get done. this was right on time. thanks crystal.

    ReplyDelete